Requirements for submitting passes, photos or videos to MPSA.
1. Suggest/Submit a pass?
- Name of the pass?
- Where is it? (eg. 22km NNE of Blikkiesdorp, N/Cape) and/or....
- GPS Co-ordinates (in decimal degrees please i.e. S24.123456 E27.123456)
- Other information? (Any useful information like date of construction, after whom was it named, who built it, nearby attractions, history, etc.)
2. Submit Photographs?
- Label every photograph with an accurate description and supply the name of the photographer as well as to which pass the photo relates.
- Don’t have your vehicle or people as subjects in the photos. We prefer clean landscape type pics.
- You can use landscape or portrait settings.
- Take pics in high resolution please.
3. I would like to film a pass. What is the drill?
3.1. Watch a few of our videos with on-vehicle footage to get a feel for things.
- Much of what we do requires a little common sense and an instinct for seeing artistic scenes.
- If you have watched five or more of our videos, you will soon see what we are trying to achieve and get a feel for it.
3.2. Don’t film the entire pass. Just film in 5 or 10 second clips.
- Filming: Most passes take around 10 minutes to drive, with some exceptions on slower drives that can take up to an hour.
- Our goal is to edit the video down to 3 mins, so that together with the Google earth clips, no video should exceed five minutes.
- Use the remote to switch the camera on and off and only film the interesting bits. If for example, there is a long straight climb of 1,5 km, film 5 seconds at the beginning, 5 seconds in the middle and 5 seconds near the top of that section.
- Try to capture all the bends. If there is a hairpin, film the whole hairpin.
- This also saves on battery life and greatly reduces the editing time for us.
- On some of the really major passes, we sometimes produce two x 5 min videos. (Typically, ascent and descent)
3.3. When is the best time to film?
- If the weather is sunny, the best time to film is between 10 am and 3 pm.
- Best weather for filming is overcast conditions.
- Rain is a no-no. If conditions are marginal (drizzle), stop frequently and wipe the lens dry.
- We try and avoid “dashcam” type filming completely due to screen glare reflection and other issues with clarity, as well as chip marks, dead bugs and wiper marks which spoil the video quality. The quality of most Dashcam footage is not true HD and we will not be able to use it.
- Try to not film driving into the sun. It’s not always possible as many passes twist and turn right through every angle of the compass, and we inevitably have to edit out the over-exposed bits.
4. Where should I mount the camera?
- Mount your camera on the roof, just behind the windscreen on the centreline. Motorcyclists should mount the camera on the handlebars and not on the helmet, unless you keep your head absolutely still.
- Set the pitch so that the bottom of the frame just clears the bonnet/bullbar etc. We want an unobstructed, clean field of view. If you have a gimbal/stabiliser, this helps a lot to create a stable video.
5. Wide angle or Narrow?
- Set your camera to narrow field of view (and not wide angle please). Make sure you are filming in HD720 minimum.
6. How do I reduce camera shake/vibration?
- On gravel roads, deflate your tyres as much as you can to avoid camera shake. 1,2 to 1,4 bar is the norm.
- Reduce the number of arms on the suction cup to one (if possible). The greater the number of extensions, the more the camera will vibrate and sway. Even better is to stick one of the GoPro slide mounts directly to the roof of your car or on the very top of your windscreen, but check that the wiper does not touch it, when activated.
- On the topic of suction cups – never use an inferior product (eg. made in China).
- We use an original GoPro suction mount and have filmed hundreds of passes and have never lost a camera from it coming loose.
7. Filming scenery
- Try to capture at least one wide pan of scenery (usually near the top or at a designated view site). Pan slowly please. The slower, the better.
- Hold the camera as still as possible in the horizontal plane. This takes a little practice. Try a practice run first.
- End your pan on the road if possible.
- If it’s very windy, these pan shots are difficult in terms of holding the camera steady.
- Leave your car out of the video.
- If you have a zoom facility, use it gently. Fast zooms don’t look good on video. Slow and deliberate please. Pretend you're Attenborough!
8. Renaming film clips
- Download your clips from your camera to your PC/laptop/Device
- Rename your clips once you have downloaded them onto your PC. Eg. ABC Pass 001, ABC Pass 002, etc.
- Likewise rename the pan features: ABC Pass Pano 001, etc.
- Things can get very confusing after 2 weeks if the clips are not properly labelled. (Been there, done that!)
- Bear in mind that if we haven’t been on the pass, we will have no way of knowing what clips belong where.
- Accurate labelling is crucial.
9. Where do I start/stop filming?
- It’s not always easy to know where a pass starts and stops.
- Use your common sense. Note the GPS start and end points from this website before departure on your trip.
- We will edit accordingly.
- Rather record more than less.
- We can always delete unwanted footage, but can’t do the opposite.
10. Help us with details
- Make notes of interesting things in the area.
- Jot down GPS co-ordinates of start, summit and end points and also note the altitudes.
- Give your GPS 30 seconds to settle before taking altitude readings.
- Take photos as well. Scenery, animals, buildings (churches), sign boards, people, birds, insects – anything interesting and relevant.
- Note guest farms, B&B’s etc.
11. How do I get such big files to MPSA?
- We have set up a cloud based Drop Box account to facilitate the submission of such big data files. Open your own Drop Box account at www.DropBox.com. It’s free and simple to set up.
- Upload your raw video files and photos to your DropBox account.
- Send us your account details with a link to those specific video files and we simply get them from your account. It works like a charm.
- Thank you for your interest and willingness to become part of this incredible project. We will credit you on our page dedicated for that purpose.
- All the material submitted will be copyright protected under the MPSA brand name and will be watermarked as such.
13. How do I know which passes MPSA have not yet filmed?
- We have created a list below of unfilmed passes. This list will be updated twice per month.
- At this stage, all the passes in Mpumalanga, Limpopo, North-West, and Gauteng have not been filmed.
- We have only done a few KZN passes and about half the E/Cape passes.
- Most of the Western and Northern Cape have been completed.
LIST OF UNFILMED PASSES (Updated fortnightly)
E/Cape Barkers Neck Pass Done EC E/Cape Bottelnek Pass Done EC E/Cape Heuningneskloof Pass Done EC E/Cape Benjaminshoogte Pass Done EC E/Cape Kraai River Pass Done EC E/Cape eRoma Pass Done EC E/Cape Trompetterspoort Pass Done EC E/Cape Kamferspoort EC E/Cape Medenpoort EC E/Cape Bedrogfontein 4x4 EC E/Cape Van Stadens Pass EC E/Cape Tarka-Botha Pass EC E/Cape Tarka Pass EC E/Cape Swaershoek Pass Done EC E/Cape Suurberg Pass R335 EC E/Cape Storms River Pass EC E/Cape Soutpansnek Pass R75 Done EC E/Cape Smuts Pass EC E/Cape Satans nek Done EC E/Cape Redhill Pass R352 Done EC E/Cape Qachas nek EC E/Cape Potters Pass Done EC E/Cape Pot River Pass EC E/Cape Penhoek Pass Done EC E/Cape Pefferskop Pass Done EC E/Cape Ouberg/Oudeberg pass Done EC E/Cape Olifantskop Pass EC E/Cape Nonesi's Nek Pass Done EC E/Cape Nico Malan Pass R67 Done EC E/Cape Moordenaarsnek Pass R56 Done EC E/Cape Mlengana Pass EC E/Cape Michells Pass, Hogsback Done EC E/Cape Lundins Nek Pass Done EC E/Cape Kwaaimans Pass Done EC E/Cape Kumajaba Pass EC E/Cape Killians Pass Done EC E/Cape Great Kei River Pass EC E/Cape Jouberts Pass Done EC E/Cape Hogsback Pass Done EC E/Cape Helspoort Pass Done EC E/Cape Hankey Pass EC E/Cape Groot Doringhoek Pass Done EC E/Cape Greylings Pass Done EC E/Cape Fullers Hoek Pass Done EC E/Cape Edoringnek Pass EC E/Cape Dontsa Pass Done EC E/Cape De Beers Pass Done EC E/Cape Daggasboersnek Pass Done EC E/Cape Colona Nek Pass EC E/Cape Cats Pass EC E/Cape Cala Pass Done EC E/Cape Bulhoek Pass EC E/Cape Buffelshoek Pass Done EC E/Cape Buffalo Pass Done EC E/Cape Bruintjieshoogte Pass EC E/Cape Boesmanshoek Pass Done EC E/Cape Blaauwkrantz Pass R67 EC E/Cape Barkly Pass Done EC E/Cape All Saints Nek Done EC E/Cape Witnek Pass Done EC KZN Bezuidenhouts Pass KZN KZN Brandons Pass KZN KZN Cecil Macks Pass KZN KZN Collings Pass Done KZN KZN De Beers Pass Done KZN KZN Endoumeni Pass Done KZN KZN Griffins Hill Done KZN KZN Grobbelaarskloof Pass R103 Done KZN KZN Havemannshoogte R68 KZN KZN Hela Hela pass KZN KZN Ikhupe Pass Done KZN KZN Knights Pass KZN KZN Lancers Nek Pass Done KZN KZN Lombardskop Nek Pass Done KZN KZN Murrays Neck Pass KZN KZN Rooihoogte Pass N2 KZN KZN Rooirantnek Pass R69 KZN KZN Tintwa Pass Done KZN KZN Van Reenens Pass N3 Done KZN Mpumalanga Allemansnek Pass Done MPL Mpumalanga Bakenkop Pass MPL Mpumalanga Bergvliet Pass MPL Mpumalanga Blouhoogte Pass MPL Mpumalanga Bonnet Pass MPL Mpumalanga Bothas Nek Pass Done MPL Mpumalanga Bouldersberg Pass MPL Mpumalanga Buffelskloof Pass MPL Mpumalanga Caspers Nek MPL Mpumalanga Chom se Hoogte Pass Done MPL Mpumalanga Clivia Pass MPL Mpumalanga Crossroads Pass Done MPL Mpumalanga Diepgezet Pass Done MPL Mpumalanga Doornhoek Pass MPL Mpumalanga Elands Pass Done MPL Mpumalanga Goudvelde Pass MPL Mpumalanga Hennings Pass MPL Mpumalanga Hilltop Pass Done MPL Mpumalanga Kiepersol Pass Done MPL Mpumalanga Klipkraal Pass MPL Mpumalanga Koffiehoogte Pass Done MPL Mpumalanga Kowyns Pass MPL Mpumalanga Kranspoort Pass MPL Mpumalanga Long Tom Pass MPL Mpumalanga Mariepskop Pass MPL Mpumalanga Masjiennek Pass MPL Mpumalanga Mokobulaan Pass MPL Mpumalanga Montrose Pass Done MPL Mpumalanga Mount Carmel Pass Done MPL Mpumalanga Mpageni Pass MPL Mpumalanga Nelshoogte Pass Done MPL Mpumalanga Patata Nek Pass Done MPL Mpumalanga Pettigrews Nnek Done MPL Mpumalanga Robbers Pass MPL Mpumalanga Rooiwalshoek Pass Done MPL Mpumalanga Saddleback Pass Done MPL Mpumalanga Santa Pass Done MPL Mpumalanga Schoemanskloof Pass Done MPL Mpumalanga Shiyalongubo Pass MPL Mpumalanga Skaapwagters Pass Done MPL Mpumalanga Skurweberg Pass Done MPL Mpumalanga Sudwala Pass Done MPL Mpumalanga Uitkyk Pass Done MPL Mpumalanga Veraaiersnek Pass Done MPL Mpumalanga Watervalsrivier Pass Done MPL Mpumalanga Wilgekraal Pass Done MPL Mpumalanga Witklip Pass Done MPL Mpumalanga Wonderkloof Pass Done MPL Limpopo Abel Erasmus Pass LPO Limpopo Bakkers Pass Done LPO Limpopo Chunies Poort Done LPO Limpopo Georges Valley Road LPO Limpopo Jacks Pass LPO Limpopo Jan Trichardt Pass Done LPO Limpopo Magoesbaskloof Pass LPO Limpopo Masekwas Poort LPO Limpopo Orrie Baragwanath Pass LPO Limpopo Rankins Pass Done LPO Limpopo Van Collers Pass LPO Limpopo Wyllies Poort LPO Gauteng Horns Nek Pass Done GTG N/Cape Amandelnek Pass Done NC N/Cape
Baillies Pass Done
NC N/Cape Bakenshoogte Pass NC N/Cape Bastersnek Pass NC N/Cape Bergenaarspad Pass NC N/Cape Blounek Pass R63 NC N/Cape Burkes Pass Done NC N/Cape Charles Pass NC N/Cape Grootvlei Pass Done NC N/Cape Kamieshoogte Pass Done NC N/Cape Kareebospoort NC N/Cape Keikamspoort NC N/Cape Keiskie se Poort Done NC N/Cape Killians Pass Done NC N/Cape Langkloof Pass Nr 1 NC N/Cape Langkloof Pass nr 2 Garies Done NC N/Cape Meketaanspoort Pass NC N/Cape Moodenaarspoort Done NC N/Cape Ottaspoort Done NC N/Cape Oukloof Pass Done NC N/Cape Oupoort Done NC N/Cape Prieskapoort NC N/Cape Quaggasfontein Pass Done NC N/Cape Renosterpoort NC N/Cape Rooikloof Pass NC N/Cape Rooipoort Done NC N/Cape Smoushoogte Pass NC N/Cape Snyderspoort Done NC N/Cape Studers Pass Done NC N/Cape Teekloof Pass Done NC N/Cape Windpoort Done NC North West Maanhaarrand Pass Done NW Free State Bells Pass Done FS Free State Bothas Pass Done FS Free State Korannaberg Pass FS Free State Lichens Pass Done FS Free State Noupoortsnek Pass Done FS Free State Old Mill Drift 4x4 FS W/Cape Bastards Poort WC W/Cape Blounek Pass R381 Done WC W/Cape Bontebok Pass 4x4 Done WC W/Cape Carstenberg Pass
WC W/Cape De Jagers Pass Done WC W/Cape Klipspringer Pass Done WC W/Cape Koueveld pass Done WC W/Cape Molteno Pass Done WC W/Cape Oudekloof/Roodezand Historical WC W/Cape Rooiwalspoort Done WC W/Cape Roseberg Pass Done WC W/Cape Trapvoet Pass 4x4 WC W/Cape Turck se Pas WC