Aim of The Ben 10 Eco Challenge
To drive ten specific high altitude gravel passes within a time frame of seven days, whilst enjoying the beautiful Eastern Cape highlands scenery. In the process you will be supporting eco-tourism in this remote part of the Eastern Cape, thereby uplifting the local population.
01. Ben MacDhui Pass (3001m)
02. Carlisleshoekspruit Pass (2563m)
03. Volunteershoek Pass (2581m]
04. Naudes Nek Pass (2590m]
05. Lundin’s Nek Pass (2170m)
06. Joubert’s Pass (2234m)
07. Bastervoetpad Pass (2240m]
08. TTT [Tiffindell-Tenahead Traverse] (2720m)
09. Otto du Plessis Pass (2115m)
10. Barkly Pass (2018m)
How it Works
Drive, ride, cycle, run or walk all 10 passes within 7 days, taking time to discover the natural wonders of the Eastern Cape Highlands and enjoy the local hospitality. This is not a race, but rather an opportunity to embrace eco-tourism in its finest form. The best places to secure accommodation are around Rhodes. Please support the businesses that are supporting this challenge and providing the prizes, which include 2 nights free accommodation. The prizes will be drawn by lucky draw once we reach the first 20 completed entries and again at 40 entries, ad infinatum.
Entry Form link below.
Sponsors and advertisers
- Tiffindell Ski Resort
- Mountain Shadows Hotel
- Walkerbouts Inn
- Tenahead Mountain Lodge
- Eastern Cape Tourism
Will be awarded by lucky draw once the first 20 entries have been completed and then again after the next 20 and so on. There are several prizes on offer which include weekend accommodation, MPSA gear and more.
1. The challenge is open and free to 4x4 vehicles, adventure motorcycles, MTB riders, walkers and trail runners. (Note that it is not possible to complete some of the passes in a normal car). MTB cyclists, walkers and runners are permitted to move between passes per vehicle.
2. For each pass, a photograph must be submitted showing the applicant, with his/her vehicle at the summit point to prove the pass was driven, ridden, walked or run. We will pick up the date and other information from the properties of the photos for verification purposes.
4. The name of each successful person will be published on this page, in numerical sequence and shall remain on the page in perpetuity.
5. Respect nature and private property and close all farm gates once you have passed through.
6. Every participant needs to understand that there is an element of danger in this challenge and depending on weather conditions, could be life threatening. Take emergency equipment with you and for cyclists, walkers and runners, adequate back-up and medical care.
7. The passes may be driven in any order.
8. Review each pass thoroughly on this website before setting off on the challenge and ensure your vehicle is serviced and properly equipped to deal with the rigours of off-road driving. All the passes are gravel or two spoor jeep track, except for the Barkly Pass which is tarred.
9. No entry will be accepted without entering online on the appropriate form which includes an indemnity form.
10. Please complete the challenge in a sportsmanlike spirit with ethics and honesty being the foundation of what it’s all about. Remember this is not a race. There will be no rewards for anyone racing the passes.
Ben 10 Eco Challenge Entry & Indemnity Form
1. Rudi Pieters (Gauteng) / BMW R1200 GSA (Motorcycle) - Completed sucessfully January, 2017.
Entries: (as at 13th February, 2017)
01. Zak Nel (Queenstown) / Mitsubishi Triton (4x4) - Results pending
02. Scott Hoare (Port Elizabeth) / Mitsubishi Triton (4x4) - Results pending
03. Johann Alberts (Pretoria) / Ford Ranger (4x4) - Results pending
04. Gurney Blackbeard (Durbanville) / Land Rover Discovery (4x4) - Results pending
05. Howard Allum (Plettenberg Bay) / Nissan Patrol (4x4) - Results pending
06. Mike Leicester (Sandton) / KTM 990 Adventure R (M/Cycle) - Results pending
07. Grant Leicester (Lonehill) / BMW F800 GS (M/Cycle) - Results pending
08. Byron Corcoran (Sandton) / KTM 990 Adventure R (M/Cycle) - Results pending
09. Denis Peche (Dainfern) / KTM 990 Adventure R (M/Cycle) - Results pending
10. Leon Hand (Boksburg) / Yamaha Super Tenere XT 1200 Z (M/Cycle) - Results pending
11. Henry Whitcomb (Kempton Park) / KTM 990 Adventure R (M/Cycle) - Results pending
12. Sue de Witte (Johannesburg) / Renault Duster (4x4) - Results pending
13. Andrew Weinberg (Johannesburg) / KTM1100 (M/Cycle) - Results pending
14. Darrell Gebhard (Knysna) / BMW 1200 GS Adventure (M/Cycle) - Results pending
15. Schalk van der Linde (Coligny) / KTM 990 Adventure (M/Cycle) - Results pending
16. Colin Pieterse (Pretoria) / Range Rover Classic (4x4) - Results pending